Frequently Asked Questions about the AquaBrick Water Filter, AquaBrick Container, Journey Water Bottle, Kelly Kettles, Woof 'Em Sticks and other Coldstream products.
1. What is the AquaBrickTM?
The AquaBrickTM Water Filtration System is the most effective water filtration system on the market, as demonstrated by intense testing and certification by independent laboratories.
AquaBrickTM can multi-task. Here's how:
- The AquaBrickTM can be used to filter water for water storage - using water from any non-salt water source.
- Should fresh clean drinking water not be readily available during times of disaster AquaBrickTM will filter and purify contaminated water. So, store what you can – then gather and purify the water you need.
- AquaBrickTM is the ideal food storage container. AquaBrick™ Containers are BPA Free, so are a perfect solution for storing and purifying water AND storing food. You can store 3 gallons of water and up to 20 pounds (9 kilos) of food; such as rice, lentils, grains, and even prepackaged food. It is the perfect food container to keep food dry and safe from rodents during storage.
- AquaBricks are stack-able, with handy funnels, so filling and storing them is easy, and they make awesome food storage containers.
2. What harmful elements does the AquaBrick™ water filter remove from water?
- AquaBrickTM meets or exceeds the established EPA water quality standards for the removal of:
• 99.9999% Bacteria
• 99.99% Virus
• 99.9% Cryptosporidium / Giardia
AquaBrickTM results top these standards. Read the Independent Lab Report – Click Here
3. Does the AquaBrick™ work on salt water?
- No. AquaBrickTM does not remove salt from water.
4. What is the size and capacity of the AquaBrick™ water filter?
- Dimensions: 9 x 6 x 18
- The AquaBrick will store 3 gallons (11.35 liters) of water and up to 20 pounds (9 kilos) of food; such as rice, lentils, grains, and even prepackaged food. It is the perfect food container to keep food dry and safe from rodents during storage.
5. Is the AquaBrick™ BPA free?
Yes. AquaBrickTM is BPA Free and made from HDPE plastic, a high density polyethylene food grade plastic. This makes AquaBrickTM the perfect solution for storing and purifying water AND ideal for food storage.
6. How much water will the AquaBrick™ safely filter?
- The AquaBrickTM water filter has been tested by independant laboratories and has been proven to to effectively remove 99.9999% of Bacteria and 99.9% Cryptosporidium / Giardia for up to 700 gallons. TheAquaBrickTM water filter has been proven to effectively remove 99.99% of Virus for up to 550 gallons.
NOTE: Tested water was spiked with bacteria, virus and other contaminants every 25 gallons. Since it is impossible to accurately determine how turbid your water is, results may vary.
7. What is the shelf life of the AquaBrick™ water filter?
- All Sagan water filter systems have a shelf life of 50 years! Use and store for future use with no occurrence of mold or mildew.
8. Does the AquaBrick™ water filter remove fluoride from water?
- Yes. All Sagan water filter systems remove fluoride from tap water.
Why we feel this is desirable: Fluoride is an additive in 70% of cities across the US and has been shown to have some ill effects on the human body. First added as a solution to dental health, research suggests Fluoride is not an essential nutrient. No disease, not even tooth decay, is caused by a “fluoride definciency.”
Once fluoride is put in the water it is impossible to control the dose each individual receives because people drink different amounts of water. Being able to control the dose a patient receives is critical. Some people (e.g., manual laborers, athletes, diabetics, and people with kidney disease) drink substantially more water than others.
Fluoride accumulates in the body. Healthy adult kidneys excrete 50 to 60% of the fluoride ingested each day (Marier & Rose 1971). The remainder accumulates in the body, largely in calcifying tissues such as the bones and pineal gland (Luke 1997, 2001). Infants and children excrete less fluoride from their kidneys and take up to 80% of ingested fluoride into their bones (Ekstrand 1994). The fluoride concentration in bone steadily increases over a lifetime (NRC 2006).
9. Does the water filter soften water?
- Yes. It actually does soften the water.
10. Is the AquaBrick™ easy to clean?
- Yes. AquaBrick™ is extrememly easy to clean because you can put your hand inside and wash it out. It also has two "hold and tilt leverage handles" which make the AquaBrick™ easy to handle and easy to to pour.
12. Does the Journey™ Water Bottle by Sagan have the same water filter capabilities?
- Yes. Journey™ is a personal water bottle created by Sagan Industries and has all the same great test results and capabilities as the AquaBrickTM.
1. Can the Kelly Kettle be used without water in the chamber?
- No - If you use your Kelly Kettle without water in the chamber you run the risk of overheating and melting the inner chimney wall. NOTE: Your 2 year anti-leak warranty will not apply if you boil your kettle dry!
2. What do the kettles weigh and which kettle is most suitable for me?
- The Kelly Kettles come in four sizes; and come in stainless steel or aluminum. Click here to view all the kettles. Click on each individual kettle listing and view “Product Dimensions” at the bottom of each page. Descriptions of each Kelly Kettle describe the best use of each kettle and should help determine what size you need.
3. Can I order online?
- Yes, you can order online through our SECURE WEBSITE by simply selecting the category of products that you wish to browse or buy. Payment Options are either CREDIT CARD - or - PAYPAL. We are also able to take Card Payment over the phone - no problem. When your order is placed we will automatically send a copy of your 'Confirmed' order to whatever e-mail address you provide. We will send you an e-mail once your order has 'Shipped'. If you have any problems, please feel free to get in touch with us through our contact us page.
4. Can one Kettle be used to boil water for a large group?
- It is common practice in Ireland for 1 Kettle to boil up enough water to provide up to a dozen people with hot tea / coffee at lunchtime. Follow instructions below to provide water for a large group. Boil the kettle as normal which should take approximately 5 minutes. Once the kettle has boiled, hold the handle of the kettle at a 90 degree angle to the body of the kettle and lift straight up off the fire base. Do not lift the handle of the kettle directly above the chimney as this may result in a burn to your fingers. Once the kettle is clear of the fire base, the handle can be used directly over the chimney and the boiling water carried to your eagerly awaiting customers! Pour the boiling water into your cups/mugs and enjoy your hot drink. Refill the kettle with water. Gently lower the kettle back onto the fire base where the fire should still be burning. Refill the chimney with fuel and presto - boiling water again in a few minutes! This process can be repeated numerous times.
5. Can my Alcohol Burner be used with the Kelly Kettle?
- Yes, any form of fire or heat source can be used in the kettles fire base.
6. Do you ship internationally & are there any extra charges?
- Yes, we ship anywhere in the USA and Canada. All other areas of the world are shipped from Ireland. You may contact our offices in Irelane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. How is the Kelly Kettle lifted on and off the fire base?
- Hold the handle at a 90 degree angle from the side of the kettle and simply lift up. Don't lift the handle straight up or you may burn your fingers. Place the kettle back on the fire base the same way to boil more water.
8. What material are Kelly Kettles made from?
- All our kettles are made of Stainless Steel or Aluminum.
9. What type of food can be cooked using the pot-support?
- Any kind of food can be cooked on top of the kettle, but it is mostly used to cook and or heat foods that are quick like soups, drinks and dehydrated or freeze dried meals. You can cook longer meals on the kettle but you will need to keep adding fuel to the kettle to keep the heat hot enough.
1. Are these kits suitable for more than 72 hours?
- Our emergency kits include basic preparedness items to get you through the first couple days of a disaster. We recommend you inventory your kit and obtain additional items appropriate for your family.
2. Do the kits contain enough food and water for 72 hours?
- They contain enough emergency food and water for survival only. We recommend additional food and especially water storage be obtained. The AquaBrick TM Water Filtration System is an ideal companion for a complete emergency kit.
3. How do I find out more about emergency preparedness?
- We recommend that you visit www.preparewell.com which offers comprehensive information on emergency preparedness.